MEMORY VERSE: "For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard." (Romans 3:23)
I. QUESTION: WHAT IS SIN?
ANSWER: Sin is wickedness, evil, and depravity. But sin is also anything that falls short of God's standard, which is perfection. (Romans 3:23)
1. Refusing to worship God and worshipping false gods or idols instead. (Romans 1:21-25; Isaiah 1:2-4)
2. Breaking the Law of God, i.e. rebellion against God. (1 John 3:4)
3. Knowing that you should do something, and then not doing it. (James 4:17)
4. Doing something that you know is wrong, because your conscience tells you so. (Romans 2:14)
5. Sin is inherent in mankind. The heart of man is wicked. (Jeremiah 17:9; James 3:6; Proverbs 24:9)
II. QUESTION: WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF SIN?
ANSWER: Sin was introduced to the earth when Eve and then Adam ate the fruit that God had forbidden them to eat. (Genesis 3:6). The source is Satan, who came in the serpent to deceive Adam and Eve. And he still tries to deceive us. (Genesis 3:1-4; Revelation 12:9)
III. QUESTION: HOW MANY KINDS OF SINS ARE THERE?
ANSWER: There are two kinds of sin:
1. The sin that you inherited just by being born into the human race. This sin has been passed down from Adam since the Sin in the Garden. (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)
2. The sins that you actually commit when you give in to the desires of your sinful flesh. (Galatians 5:19-21)
IV. IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SINNED?
ANSWER: The Bible says that ALL have sinned. Becuase God's standard is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, nobody can meet that standard. (Romans 3:23)
V. QUESTION: WHAT COULD BE SAID OF A PERSON WHO DENIES THEY HAVE SINNED?
1. They are fooling themselves and refusing to accept the truth. (1 John 1:8)
2. They are calling God a liar and demonstrating that they reject his Word. (1 John 1:10)
3. They are fools. (Proverbs 14:9)
VI. WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN?
1. Sinners have no peace, because misery, destruction, and trouble follow their sin. (Proverbs 13:21; Isaiah 57:21; Romans 3:16-17)
2. Sin controls the sinner. They are a slave to sin. They may think they are in control of themselves, but they are not. (Romans 6:17; 7:14-20)
3. Sinners are spiritually dead. (Ephesians 4:18; 2:1)
4. Those who die in their sin will be punished with everlasting destruction, eternal separation from God in the lake of fire (hell). (2 Thessalonians 1:9; Revelation 20:4-15)
VII. QUESTION: CAN MAN SAVE HIMSELF FROM HIS SINS?
ANSWER: Because the siner is a slave to sin, he is powerless to do what is right. Sin is a very strong master. The best that we can accomplish is like filthy rags. Even if we follow the Law of God perfectly, it can do nothing of the wickedness in our hearts. (Romans 7:14-19, 23-25; Isaiah 64:6; Colossians 2:20-23)