MEMORY VERSE: "From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand which should rise and fall, and determined thier boundaries. His purpose in all of this was that the nations should seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him." (Acts 17:26-27a)
I. QUESTION: WHO IS MAN?
ANSWER: Man is the crowning glory of God's creation. They were created in the image of God and were made masters over all living things on the earth. (Genesis 1:26-27)
II. QUESTION: WHAT DO WE MEAN WHEN WE SAY THAT GOD CREATED MAN IN HIS IMAGE?
ANSWER: Just as God is one but has three persons, so one man is made of of three parts.
1. Man has a body. Man has a personality, intelligence, feelings, a will, the ability to reason, and the ability to have contact with God.
2. Man has a heart or a soul. Man has the ability to distinguish between good and bad. Man's conscience tells him when he is doing right or wrong.
3. Man has a spirit. The spirit of man lives forever. The Bible says of death, "For then the dust will return to the earth, and the spirit will return to God who gave it." (Ecclesiastes 12:7)
III. QUESTION: FOR WHAT PURPOSE DID GOD CREATE MAN?
ANSWER: God created man for three purposes:
1. To bring glory and worship to God. He created man for his own pleasure. (Romans 11:36; Colossians 1:16)
2. To have fellowship (friendship) with God. (Genesis 3:8; 1 Corinthians 1:9; 1 John 1:3)
3. To take care of the earth. (Genesis 1:26)
IV. QUESTION: WHAT WAS THE WHOLE PICTURE BEFORE THE FALL OF MAN?
1. God looked over all he had made and saw that it was excellent in every way. (Genesis 1:31)
2. There was no death. (Genesis 2:17)
3. Man ruled over all the animals. The beasts were not savage. (Genesis 2:19,20)
V. QUESTION: WHAT WAS THE WHOLE PICTURE AFTER THE FALL OF MAN?
1. Man lost his access to fellowship with God. He was banished from the Garden. (Genesis 3:24)
2. Man lost his ability to live forever. That is, now he would die.
VI. QUESTION: WHY DIDN'T GOD CREATE MAN TO BE UNABLE TO SIN?
ANSWER: God created man with a free will. God did not want robots who had to serve him and had to love him. He wanted people who would choose to love him and serve him and do what is right. In order for him to give people the choice to serve him, that means that there was the possibility that they could choose not to serve him too. God values free will. (Galatians 5:13)
VII. QUESTION: WHAT DID GOD DO WHEN MAN SINNED?
ANSWER: Even though God had to punish their sin, he immediately promised that one day the offspring of the woman would undo that curse. He then made animal skins to cover them up, to symbolize covering their sin. (Genesis 3:15, 21) Galatians says that when the right time came, the offspring of the woman, Jesus, came to buy us all back from the slavery of sin. (Galatians 4:4,5)