MEMORY VERSE: ďAll Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.Ē (2 Timothy 3:16)
I. QUESTION: WHAT IS THE BIBLE?
ANSWER: The Bible is the Word of God. Even though it was written by holy men, the words in the Bible were not from them. The Holy Spirit moved them to write what they did. (2 Peter 1:20-21)
II. QUESTION: WHO DID GOD USE TO WRITE THE BIBLE?
ANSWER: God used holy prophets in the Old Testament and the apostles in the New Testament. There are 40 different authors of the 66 books of the Bible. But there is one message throughout. (Ephesians 3:5; 2 Peter 3:1-2)
III. QUESTION: WHAT IS THE CONTENT OF THE BIBLE?
ANSWER: There are two testaments: the Old Testament and the New Testament.
Old Testament: It has 39 books. It records the history of Godís work in Creation, choosing a special people, and his work among those people, Israel. It contains many prophecies to prepare us for the coming of Jesus Christ, as well as many types, which are things in the Old Testament that represent Jesus or something about Jesus.
New Testament: It has 27 books: It tells the story of Jesusí life, death, and resurrection. It records the early history of the Church, as well as teachings on how we should live.
IV. QUESTION: HOW CAN WE PROVE THAT THE BIBLE IS GODíS WORD?
ANSWER: There are several verses that show the Bible is Godís Word.
1. It is inspired by God, that is God-breathed. (2 Timothy 3:16)
2. Jesus said that his Word would be preserved. (Matthew 5:18)
3. Even the people who heard Jesus, recognized his authority. (Mark 1:22)
4. They are the Spiritís words. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)
5. The Holy Spirit moved the authors to write it. (2 Peter 1:21)
6. The things that were promised in the Bible have come to pass. (Joshua 23:14)
V. QUESTION: WHAT BENEFITS DO YOU RECEIVE FROM READING THE BIBLE?
ANSWER:† There are four benefits:
1. It shows us where we came from and it is powerful. (Genesis 1:3; John 1:1-3)
2. It helps us to avoid the traps of sin. Satan wants to destroy us, so we must be ever watchful, and we must read the Bible to see how to overcome. (1 Peter 5:8)
3. It reveals Jesus Christ to us. And Jesus Christ is the only way to be reconciled to the Father. So it brings us redemption. (John 1:18; 3:16; 14:6)
4. It shows us how to live the right way, a holy life. (Philippians 2:15; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
VI. HOW CAN WE RECEIVE A BLESSING FROM THE BIBLE?
ANSWER: There are several things you must do to receive a blessing from the Bible:
1. Read the Word of God. (Revelation 1:3)
2. Hear the Word of God. (Luke 10:38-42)
3. Study the Word of God. (Acts 17:11; Psalm 119:11)
4. Meditate on the Word of God. (James 1:25; Psalm 1:2)
5. Do what the Word of God says. (Joshua 1:8; James 1:22-25)
VII. HOW SHOULD WE READ THE BIBLE?
1. Start from the beginning and read it in order.
2. Schedule to finish reading it in one year.
3. Pray that God will help you to understand the Bible and help you to do what is says.