ďAnd then he told them, ďGo into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere.Ē (Mark 16:15)
I. QUESTION: WHY DO WE HAVE TO WITNESS?
1. Because it is the Great Commission, one of Jesusí commandments to his disciples. (Matthew 28:20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8)
2. It is Godís work through us. (1 Corinthians 15:10)
3. We are given the responsibility of ďrescuing those who are sentenced to death.Ē If we stand by and do nothing, God knows and will judge us. (Proverbs 24:11-12; Ezekiel 33)
4. There is an inward compelling to do it (really this comes from the Holy Spirit). (Jeremiah 20:9; 1 Corinthians 9:16)
5. We must witness at all times, even in non-church situations, like eating (or anything). (1 Corinthians 11:26; 2 Timothy 4:2)
II. QUESTION: WHEN SHOULD YOU BEGIN WITNESSING AND HOW?
ANSWER: You should start witnessing as soon as you believe in Jesus. (John 1:41-42, 45-46) and should do it by sharing the truth of Godís Word with people, especially in our age when society goes against the things God stands for. You must be willing to work at witnessing. (2 Timothy 4:1-5) If you do this, God will do his work.
III. QUESTION: HOW ARE WE GOING TO WITNESS?
ANSWER: The most effective witness is simply telling the story of what Jesus has done for you. (Acts 26:2-29)
1. Tell about your life before Christ. (2-11)
2. Tell about when you met Christ. (12-18)
3. Tell about your life after Christ. (19-29)
IV. QUESTION: HOW LONG SHOULD WE WITNESS TO A PERSON BEFORE GIVING UP ON THEM?
ANSWER: You should witness to someone until they accept Jesus. In other words, you should never give up on them. (Luke 15:3-10) If someone rejects your message, they are not rejecting you but Christ. (Luke 10:11-14)
V. QUESTION: AFTER WE HAVE WITNESSED TO A PERSON, WHAT ARE WE TO DO?
1. For people who receive what you tell them: God will cause the seed you planted in them to grow. Continue to pray for them, that they will continue to respond, and believe in Jesus. (Isaiah 55:10-11)
2. For others: realize that the belief in Jesus that leads to salvation comes from hearing Godís Word, so continue to share Godís Word with them. (Romans 10:17)
VI. QUESTION: WHAT MUST WE DO WHEN A PERSON IS WILLING TO RECEIVE CHRIST?
1. In order to be saved, they must do the following three things:
∑ They must believe it in their heart, and confess that belief with their mouth. (Saying a prayer without really believing it does no good). (Romans 10:9,10)
∑ They must confess their sin and ask Jesus to take them away. (1†††††††††††† John 1:9)
∑ They must invite Christ into their heart and life. (Revelation 3:20)
2. They must be baptized, and must be taught to follow the commands of Christ, which means they must learn what those commands are. (Matthew 28:19-20)
VII. QUESTION: BESIDE PERSONAL WITNESSING, WHAT IS A CHRISTIANíS RESPONSIBILITY TOWARD MISSIONS?
1. We must pray for missionaries. (Luke 9:28; Acts 4:29; Ephesians 6:18, 19)
2. We must support them financially. (Titus 3:13; Galatians 6:6)
3. We must welcome them and take care of them when they are around. (Matthew 10:40-41; 3 John 7,8)