MEMORY VERSE: “And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” (Mark 12:30)
I. QUESTION: WHO IS GOD?
ANSWER: The LORD is Yahweh (sometimes pronounced Jehovah). He is the only God; there is no other God. Jesus is also God. This is not two Gods, but one God in three persons: God the Father; God the Son (Jesus); and God the Holy Spirit. (Isaiah 45:18; John 1:1-3)
II. QUESTION: HOW CAN WE BELIEVE IN GOD IF WE’VE NEVER SEEN HIM?
ANSWER: Even though we cannot physically see God, we can know he is there, because he has revealed himself to us in several ways:
1. We do see God in creation. When we see the complexity of the world, we know that God must exist. (Genesis 1:1; Romans 1:20)
2. We see God in the person of Jesus Christ. He that if you’ve seen him, you have seen the Father. We have reliable historical accounts of the life of Jesus. (Hebrews 1:2; John 14:7)
3. We can see God in the Bible, because he inspired it. (2 Timothy 3:16)
4. We can see God in the lives of believers. When we see what he has done for them and in them, we cannot deny him. (We can also become this source for others to see God). (2 Corinthians 3:3)
III. QUESTION: IS BELIEF IN GOD SIMPLY A STEP OF FAITH, WITHOUT THE INVOLVEMENT OF STUDY OR LOGIC?
ANSWER: Even though many educated people of our day do not believe in God, and in fact, acts as if you are foolish if you believe in God, many of the greatest minds of the past were Christian, such as Newton and Pascal. In fact, the exact opposite is true. In light of the revelations we mentioned, you would have to be foolish not to believe in God. (Psalm 14:1) It is innate in people to believe in God. Paul pointed out in Athens that they had an altar to “The Unknown God.” Even with all their (false) gods, they knew there was something more. Paul told them that the God they knew was out there, but whose name they didn’t know was Yahweh. (Acts 17:23-24)
IV. QUESTION: IS IT WISE TO REJECT GOD?
ANSWER: Once again, only the fool says there is no God. (Psalm 14:1) In fact, Jesus asks, what good is it if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul, and if you reject God that is exactly what you will do. (Matthew 16:26) All life is in God and therefore if you reject him you cannot have true life. (John 1:3,4) So rejecting God is the single most foolish thing a person could do. If they got everything else in life right, but rejected God, everything else has been worthless.
V. QUESTION: WHAT ARE THE ATTRIBUTES (CHARACTERISTICS) OF GOD?
A. The incommunicable attributes (We cannot have these):
1. God is spirit. (John 4:24)
2. He is eternal. He has no beginning and no end. (Exodus 3:14; Psalm 90:2)
3. He is immutable. He does not change. (Malachi 3:6; Psalm 102:25-27; James 1:17)
4. He is omnipotent, all-powerful. Nothing is too hard for him. (Genesis 18:14; Luke 1:37)
5. He is omniscient, all-knowing. (Psalm 139:1-4; Hebrews 4:13)
6. He is omnipresent. He is everywhere. (Psalm 139:7-10)
B. The communicable attributes (We can and should have these):
1. God is holy. (1 Peter 1:15-16)
2. He is just—he is a judge who does what is right. (Psalm 7:9-11)
3. He is love. (Ephesians 2:4; 1 John 4:8)
4. He is faithful and merciful. (Lamentations 3:23; Revelation 3:14)
VI. QUESTION: WHAT ATTITUDE MUST WE HAVE TOWARD GOD?
1. We must love him. (Mark 12:30)
2. We must worship him. (John 4:24; Exodus 20:3)
3. We must follow and obey him. (John 12:26; Luke 1:75)